SILC – Who we are
Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC) is a voluntary organisation led and run by disabled people. We believe that every disabled adult, child, older person and carer should be able to live independently with the same choices, opportunities and control over their lives as anyone else.
Our specialist, approachable team offer a range of services to help you live independently, whether you receive support from the council, NHS or fund your own care.
Depending on your situation, we can assist with:
- deciding whether a Direct Payment is the right option for you
- helping you understand how Direct Payments work
- helping you to recruit and employ care workers and Personal Assistants
- practical advice on staying safe and independent at home
- providing an Assisted Finance Account to help you manage your finances
- support with budgets, bank accounts and financial management
- managing your Personal Health Budget or Education Direct Payment
We provide the NHS Health Complaints Advocacy service in Surrey and also administer the GP Carer Break Scheme, including the carer prescriptions service, and are involved in joint ventures and national initiatives including Healthwatch Surrey.