SILC – Who we are
Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC) is a voluntary organisation led and run by disabled people. We believe that every disabled adult, child, older person and carer should be able to live independently with the same choices, opportunities and control over their lives as anyone else.
Our specialist, approachable team offer a range of services to help you live independently, whether you receive support from the council, NHS or fund your own care.
Depending on your situation, we can assist with:
- deciding whether a Direct Payment is the right option for you
- helping you understand how Direct Payments work
- helping you to recruit and employ care workers and Personal Assistants
- training, including Support with Confidence
- practical advice on staying safe and independent at home
- providing an Assisted Finance Account to help you manage your finances
- support with budgets, bank accounts and financial management
- managing your Personal Health Budget or Education Direct Payment
From 1st April 2018, we will provide the NHS Health Complaints Advocacy service in Surrey.
We also manage and administer the Carer Support Payment scheme, including the carer prescriptions service and are involved in joint ventures and national initiatives including Healthwatch Surrey.
Free Training for personal assistants and direct payment employers
SILC’s Training Department has been successful in securing Skills for Care, Workforce Development Funding for another year. This year the funding can only be used for training personal assistants who are already employed by an individual employer and for individual employers to attend training themselves. We are able to pay up to £10.00 towards travel costs and a contribution towards the cost of covering your Personal Assistant when on training.
- 17th - Understanding Dementia
- 18th - Mind your Back (Back Care)
- 19th - Emergency First Aid at Work
- 20th - Good Boss for Employers (Managing your Personal Assistants)
- 8th - Safeguarding Adults & Children
- 9th - Health & Safety (infection control, fire safety etc.)
- 30th - Good Boss for Employers (Managing your Personal Assistants)
- 31st - Person Centred Care (Privacy & Dignity)
- 19th - Understanding Dementia
- 20th - Awareness of behaviour that challenges
- 21st - Understanding Epilepsy and Medication
- 11th - Good Boss for Employers (Managing your Personal Assistants)
- 12th - Mind your Back (Back Care)
- 7th - Safeguarding Adults & Children
- 8th - Emergency First Aid at Work
For more details and to register for training, please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07514 093 616
Become a SILC Trustee
In 2017 we successfully retendered for Surrey County Councils Direct Payment support service and we are also adding NHS Health Complaints Advocacy and a further Supported Pathways to Employment project to the services that we offer.
We now want to strengthen SILC and make sure we are doing what you need and reflect your needs in the way we provide services.
In order to do that we are looking for disabled people to join our Board of Trustees and help us oversee the development and management of the organisation.
If you are interested just call us on 01483 458 111 or email our admin team at: email@example.com